People can start filing their municipal and school board election papers today, and along with the change to 4-year terms candidates will have some new financing rules to keep in mind.
Elections BC is now overseeing campaign financing, and for the first time they’ll also be keeping tabs on third parties who get involved in the election.
Nola Western is a deputy chief electoral officer at Elections BC.
Western says third parties can register at any point in the campaign, as long as they do it before running any adds.
Elections BC will also be making financial reports from the candidates available online, just as they do with provincial elections.
All the other rules around the municipal and school board elections, like candidate eligibility, will still be handled at the local level.